By Sally Banes
large in its scope and compelling in its argument Dancing Women:
* offers a sequence of re-readings of the canon, from Romantic and Russian Imperial ballet to modern ballet and sleek dance
* investigates the gaps among plot and function that create sexual and gendered meanings
* examines how women's enterprise is created in dance via points of choreographic constitution and style
* analyzes quite a number women's photographs - together with brides, mistresses, moms, sisters, witches, wraiths, enchanted princesses, peasants, revolutionaries, cowgirls, scientists, and athletes - in addition to the construction of assorted women's groups at the dance stage
* indicates ways to problems with gender in postmodern dance
utilizing an interpretive method diversified from that of alternative feminist dance historians, who've under pressure both victimization or party of girls, Banes unearths a way more advanced variety of cultural representations of gender identities.
Read or Download Dancing Women: Female Bodies Onstage PDF
Similar dance books
Pearl Primus (1919-1994) blazed onto the dance scene in 1943 with attractive works that included social and racial protest into their dance aesthetic. within the Dance Claimed Me, Peggy and Murray Schwartz, associates and associates of Primus, supply an intimate point of view on her lifestyles and discover her affects on American tradition, dance, and schooling.
The definitive source for the dance sort referred to as American Tribal variety Bellydance. background, improvement, interviews, costuming descriptions and building advice, jewellery, heritage of textiles and ethnic jewellery used for this dance shape, circulate breakdowns together with speedy and sluggish steps, use of props, staging and function thoughts, track, finger cymbal and kashiklar guideline, how the dance pertains to the Romany tradition, dance as ritual, fees from practitioners from worldwide, source listing, extra.
Serious and performative writings from a well known dance pupil
There is not any archive or museum of human circulation, no position the place choreographies could be amassed and conserved in pristine shape. The principal outcome of this is often the disability of philosophy and aesthetics to consider dance as a good and empirical paintings. within the eyes of philosophers, dance refers to an area except paintings, thought of either extra frivolous and extra primary than the art with no ever relatively reaching the prestige of a piece.
- Anna Sokolow: The Rebellious Spirit: 14 (Choreography and Dance Studies Series)
- Choreographies of 21st Century Wars (Oxford Studies in Dance Theory)
- Traversing Tradition: Celebrating Dance in India (Celebrating Dance in Asia and the Pacific)
- Solkattu Manual: An Introduction to the Rhythmic Language of South Indian Music
Additional info for Dancing Women: Female Bodies Onstage